An intramuscular injection is used to deliver medication deep into the muscles, which facilitates quick absorption into the bloodstream. Intramuscular injections are used when other delivery methods are unsuitable. For example, if a medication will upset the stomach when taken orally, an intramuscular injection may be a better option.
There are four general locations where intramuscular injections are given.
- The deltoid muscle, located in the upper arm
- The vastus lateralis muscle, located on the outer edge of the middle portion of the thigh
- The ventrogluteal muscle in the hip
- The dorsogluteal muscles in the buttocks
Brentview Medical Clinic in West Hollywood and Brentwood are equipped to provide a variety of intramuscular injections. Your physician will decide if an injection is the right treatment for you. Examples of some injectables available at Brentview Medical include the following:
- General Vaccinations
- Hormones (ie. Testosterone)
- Pain Medicines
- Steroid (Kenalog) Injections
- Travel Vaccinations
- Trigger Point Injections for Muscle Spasm
- Vitamin B12
We make every effort to use the smallest needles possible to minimize and eliminate any discomfort associated with injections. Brentview Medical adheres to strict guidelines of cleanliness and sterility with all injections. Our convenient locations serve the greater Santa Monica and LA area.